The Library came into existence along with the Lalit Kala Akademi in 1954 in a small room in Jaipur House, New Delhi. The Library was shifted to its present premises, Rabindra Bhavan (New Delhi) in 1962. Having started with 140 titles which included books and journals on art, it now grown to become, one could say, the finest library catering to the subject of art. This reference library now includes over 8700 books on painting, sculpture, drawing, photography, graphic art, architecture to cater to the various needs of its readers. A fabulous collection of art reproductions is also available. Having internet access, the OPAC system and photocopying facilities further helps the readers.
Records of all the events of Akademi can be accessed from the well-maintained Archives division. Available materials include photographs, catalogues, annual reports, seminar papers, newspaper clippings, CDs and other audio-visual material. Documentaries on renowned artists and their work is also a part of the collection of the archive.